Subject: [Leica] took back G2 and bought M6 0.85 today!
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:31:23 -0800

LUGgers:

I have some good news.   I have been playing with a Contax G2 and
three Zeiss lenses for 2 weeks with generally good, yet inconsistent
results.  Inconsistent because the metering area is not well-defined
and because the AF is quirky and sometimes unreliable.  I have used
Nikon F5 and Leica R8/R4 for a while now and I love Leica quality.
Don't ask me why I thought I would like a G2 better than an M6, but I did.
For a few days, that is.  For the past few rolls with the G2, performance
has slowly slipped.  The first few days, the AF was flawless.  (Many
people have said it takes 4-5 rolls before you get perfectly focused shots
but I got only 1 out of focus shot in 10 rolls.  It may be because of my
experience with the F5.)  It never bounced, wavered, or hesitated.  I was
merely lucky I guess.  Lately, even in bright daylight, shooting under
normal circumstances, I have had more trouble focusing than ever before.
Finally, after giving the G2 a good two weeks of testing, I gave up on it.
I would have to summarize by saying that the lenses ARE superb.  At
least as good as Leica, not inferior at all.  All images I got back were
amazingly sharp and contrasty.  "Microcontrast" was very very good.
The only things keeping me from keeping the G2 are the same things
that made me think it would beat the M6 in usability......the metering
and the AF.  So, today, I returned my loaner G2 and lenses.  As I walked
into the store, planning on buying the 28/2.8 R lens instead, I noticed
2 M6 bodies in the M6 display section.  I thought it odd, so I examined
more closely.  A small "0.85" on the front of the new one was the only
thing to distinguish it as being different.  I realized I was staring at
the new
M6 0.85!!!   I immediately fell in love and grabbed in from the shelf before
some other guys could see it.  John told me it had just come in today in
their Leica shipment, and he was probably correct since the camera was
not there 2 days ago when I was in.  Without even looking at the 28/2.8 R
I had intended to buy, I decided on the black 0.85 M6 and got a 35/2 ASPH to
match.  John said it was 1 of only 2 on the entire West Coast.  The other
being at Samy's in LA.  I felt good.

I have always loved this list for the occasional comment on R equipment,
but now I feel a bit more connected to all of you since I own an M6.  And
a fine M6 it is!  By the way, I got the handgrip too.....very nice!

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com

http://www.5senses.com/