Subject: [Leica] Collecting nonsense
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:37:18 -0800

David Medley wrote:

> This collecting nonsense is just that  ............... nonsense.
>
> Gentlemen (& ladies ) these are tools to be used. Let us not
> encourage this collecting idiocy. It is already way out of hand.

Indeed.  One of the reasons I've never bought a Safari kit (hey,
I live in Oregon - I like green) is because they all seem to have
sat unused for the last 20-odd years.  Mechanical devices such as
cameras and cars should not sit idle.

Something that's truly rare, where only relatively few remain
in original condition, is understandably collectable.  Something
produced in the volume of M3's or M6's, while not exactly on the
same scale as a K1000, is common enough to be used and appreciated
as the fine instruments they are.

- -Dave