Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R6 book question...
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:50:04 -0800

Doug Williams (R) wrote:

> Recently I purchased a Leica R6 (to go along with my M stuff), and am thinking
> of picking up the book 'Leica R6' by F. Meisnitzer.  Having not seen the book
> in person, I was wondering if it is worthwhile?  Anybody read this book?
>  Thanks,

I bought this book when I got my first R6.  It's useful as a manual, to
describe operation of the camera, but it doesn't have a great deal of
information about the R system in general.  It's a bit dogmatic -- one
has the sense that the author believes that there is a right way and a
wrong way to do photography, and he is going to show you the right way.
I found the photographs mostly uninspiring.  On the other hand, I don't
remember the book containing significant errors.

Brian Bower's "Leica Reflex Photography" is much more fun.  Jonathan
Eastland's "Leica R Compendium" covers more ground, but (at least in the
1st edition, which I have) contains numerous errors of fact.

- -Patrick