Subject: Re: [Leica] A Chatterton Story
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:15:32 -0800

ATanabe wrote:

> Here in the state of Washington, where Don runs his mailorder
> operation, there is NO state income tax.  Our budget is financed
> by sales tax only, (8.75%).

From this Oregonian's point of view, you've also got a very hefty
automobile registration fee to help pay for things.  Maybe Don
has lots of cars?  :-)

So, my experience was that he was friendly and chatty when I bought
my last M3.  He had it marked mint--/ex+++ and when it arrived
I did notice it would indeed be perfect except for two minor flaws:
a very slight dent or crease by the rewind lever, at the very edge
of the body.  Perhaps Don didn't even see it.  It looks like some
tool that might be used to grasp the top plate had applied a wee bit
too much pressure.  It's so slight there is no functional affect this
would have.  The other minor flaw was that a very slight bit of
chrome was missing from the release button.  I myself would've
graded it a bit less than he did, but I'm very conservative.  Still,
he probably figured that if I didn't like it, I would send it back.
I figured I liked it enough as a "user" (heh).

I did call him back later on another matter entirely and he seemed
abrupt; I figure he's got a one-man operation and is pretty busy,
especially on Tuesdays before putting up new items on his web page
and also on Wednesdays, handling all the orders.

The nicest Leica dealer I've spoken with is Jim Kuehl; haven't
bought anything from him yet, however.

- -Dave