Subject: Re: [Leica] T-max horror
From: Alan Brown <abrown@ncsi.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 00:39:23 -0600

>At 03:23 PM 3/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>
>>been more of a problem than 35mm however.  The problem is increased density
>>along the sides of the negative that are adjacent to the reel.  I finally
>>solved this by buying a Jobo tank (1500 series) and putting it on a
>>Unicolor roller base and giving it constant agitation.  No more extra
>>density along the sides!
>
>That's caused by over agitation. The developer goes through the holes in
>the film, and moves faster, causing more development there.
>==========
>
>Eric Welch

Eric,
Thanks for the info.  However, this happened to be one of the few things I
already knew.  I had tried very gentle agitation, which helped, but didn't
eliminate the problem.  It didn't seem logical to me that CONSTANT
agitation would totally eliminate the problem, but it did.  Old, but not
too old to learn.

BTW, I have been using Gordon Hutchings' pyro developer sold by
Photographer's Formulary with what I consider to be wonderful results.
Leica users that use black and white film and want to see what those
wonderful lenses can do should consider pyro.  It is extraordinarily sharp
with a great tonal range.  I've never tried pushing it, but it works
wonders at normal EIs.

Regards,

Alan Brown