Subject: RE: [Leica] Velvia vs. Provia - what's the verdict?
From: "Tore Larsen" <tore@CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:16:33 -0500

Donal,

- -----Original Message-----
From:	owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us] On Behalf Of Donal Philby
Sent:	Thursday, 19 March, 1998 13:39
To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject:	Re: [Leica] Velvia vs. Provia - what's the verdict?

<snip>

Also, film
rating, I am beginning to believe in my growing age and wisdom, has more
to do with which lab you use (on which day, too) than it does with some
baseline from the manufacturer.  Many labs underdevelop E6 because it is

<snip>

I don't have much experience with labs in this country, but in Norway my
experience has been that I'm generally better off picking my favorite film
from the manufacturer preferred by the lab I use. Or I can choose the lab
based on the film I want to use, although I think it is harder to find good
labs than good films.

Labs in Norway (professional as well as 1 hour) have close ties with either
Fuji or Kodak. They all say that they process E6 material from the other
manufacturer as well. The information I got from Fuji though is that  the
two manufacturers use different "test strips," and that a "Kodak shop" will
not produce optimal results with Fuji film. They acknowledged that in
principle the same would be true the other way around, although supposedly
not to the same degree. This has been confirmed by the owner of my favorite
lab.

Are labs in the US operated in  the same way? I was very disappointed when I
had my first film (Reala) with a new Contax T2 pro processed at a lab in
Westchester that was recommended to me by a friend who lives in the area. It
could be accidental, but the results were unbelievably awful. This turned
out to be a "Kodak shop," which matches perfectly with my friends choice of
film. He consistently shoots slow speed Kodak material with his Rollei 6008.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego