Subject: Re: [Leica] A Chatterton story
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 21:59:28 +0000

Thomas,

> How is that not an example of honesty?

I bought a Leica CL w/40mm from Don that was SB published at a mint- rating. When
the camera arrived, I agreed with the rating of the body but the lens was brassed and I
later found out, its cam was misaligned by a prior repair (of some sort). I called Don
and was told that though I could have my money back, there was nothing he would do
in regard to the lens alone. There were no other CL's available on the market at the time
and because I hated the idea of sending it back, I kept the camera. In the end, I spent
$75 getting the cam recalibrated and though I could've received my money back, this
kind of misgrading is an example of less than 100% forthright honesty/standing behind
the product, without question.

It seems to me that Don could've kept selling the camera until he found a person willing
to keep it. There's good odds that'll happen within two sales and while it may make
sense from a strictly business POV, it isn't good business by my expectations.
Danny Gonzalez