Subject: Re: [Leica] Infrared Film advice
From: "Bresler" <bresler@oeonline.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:09:54 -0500

>      I could use some advice on Kodak's infrared film, and also the semi-
> infrared film by Ilford. A recommended starting point for the Kodak film
would
> be very helpful.
Richard- I've shot 50-60 rolls of Kodak's infrared emulsion and 1 roll of
Ilford's SFX.  The cool thing about the Leica rangefinder is that you can
use an 87 infrared filter.  This baby is black and passes no visible light
at all...just infrared.  Bright sunshine calls for 1/60 at f16 with a
bracket to 1/30.  If I use the standard red filter it's 1/125 at f16.  The
worst part of handling the film is that you must load and unload the film
in the dark so you need a changing bag  ( a good heavy one, not a cheesy
one ) if you plan to shoot more than one roll. A stainless steel developing
tank with a stainless steel lid is a good idea, as some plastic lids may
leak infrared, or so I'm told.
I use HC-110 to soup it at Kodak's recommended time.  The wet emulsion is
extremely fragile.
SFX can look OK and is easier to handle ( loads fine in shade ) but frankly
I prefer the coarse grain and halation highlight glow of the Kodak
film.----Bill Bresler