Subject: [Leica] Broken M6, Murder, broken back
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:37:05 -0600

How's that for a subject line? :-)

I broke my baby today. My M6 was sitting on top of my coat on my camera bag
at a murder trial today. I picked up my coat in a rush, and my M6 flipped
up about a foot and a half above the ground and landed right on the rewind
knob. I didn't think too much of it, because my Leicas have taken worse
tumbles in the past with no trouble. But when I went to advance the film
later in the day, no dice. The knob is bent and won't rotate easily.

Boy am I glad I got the Passport warranty. I'll send it Fed Ex to Leica on
Monday and have them ship it back on my paper's Fed Ex account. I'll find
out just how fast Leica can be these days for such a simple repair for a
professional. :-) I'll let you all know when I get it back.

Ironically, just yesterday, I was scoping out a shooting site and was
climbing over a big pile of snow. I slipped and fell about 7 feet and
cracked my spine on a big lump of ice. Thought I was going to have a broken
back. After I got up and caught my breath minutes later, I thought "Boy I'm
glad I didn't have my camera with me, it would have broken for sure!" (Boy,
am I sore tonight!)

Luck can run out. ;-)

As for the murder, I was sitting on a bench outside the courtroom waiting
for the jury to return the verdict in a murder trial (had been waiting for
about 20 hours over the past two days with hard-backed benches pushing on
my back!) and the murderer walked up and asked me if I had taken the
picture in that morning's paper. I said yes, and he said "Nice picture." It
was of him leaning on a rail with his attorney (who asked for a print)
talking and waiting. Then he asked me "Did you take it with your Leica?" I
said yes, and whipped out my M6 and 35 Summilux ASPH and said, "I seem to
remember you have owned an M3 in the past." (By the way, I shot the picture
with my 180 Elmarit). His eyes lit up and said "if I had my choice, this is
the camera I'd own."

Rather strange exchange, I know. He's the former chief of police here in
St. Joseph. He shot his neighbor last summer after a long-standing feud
between them. The guy hit him (the killer says with a hammer) and he shot
him. Rather sad that such a thing can happen. Sure made for a surreal
"Leica moment." By the way, I call him the murderer because this evening
the jury said he was guilty.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!