Subject: [Leica] Broken M6, Murder, broken back
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:39:03 -0500

<<<<Ironically, just yesterday, I was scoping out a shooting site and was
climbing over a big pile of snow. I slipped and fell about 7 feet and
cracked my spine on a big lump of ice. Thought I was going to have a broken
back.>>>>>>

Hey Eric,

Lets be careful out there! Besides you're getting older and we can't have
one of our favorite commentators down and out.

How you doing now?

<<<I picked up my coat in a rush, and my M6 flipped up about a foot and a
half above the ground and landed right on the rewind knob.>>>>>>

Well the camera gear can be fixed and renewed but the body takes a bit
longer. It's usually some dumb little thing that can do us in when we least
expect it.

<<<and the murderer walked up and asked me if I had taken the picture in
that morning's paper. I said yes, and he said "Nice picture." It was of him
leaning on a rail with his attorney (who asked for a print) talking and
waiting. Then he asked me "Did you take it with your Leica?" >>>>>>>

And it is little encounters like this that make our profession the best
people  profession in the world!

A truly strange encounter considering the guy was convicted later.

I sure hope you have a day log recording this kind of incident for when the
day comes and you write the Eric Welch Memoirs!:)

ted