Subject: Re: [Leica] Berek and the Leica Glow
From: Don Bledsoe <drbledsoe@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:48:46 -0800 (PST)

- --Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:

>>I think I already HAVE described it.  With the CZJ Tessar, the image
shades from being in-focus to being out-of-focus.  With the Leitz
Elmar, the softness of the out-of-focus images is exaggerated.<<

Sorry Marc but I have to disagree.  I don't think you have described
it at all.  The above description sounds like it could be a result of
the scene being shot, the aperture opening hence depth of field,
contrast of the scene, lighting, the possibility of either one of the
lenses you tried being an abnormality, etc.

While I do have a couple of old Elmars (35 and 50) I do not have a CZJ
Tessar nor know anywhere I could find one easily.  And even if I could
the Tessar would seem to have to be of equal focal length and focal
ratio and in LTM for anything approaching a valid test.  Even if I had
one of each lens of equal focal length and ratio it would still
require a number of samples of each lens to test more than one to draw
a conclusion.

The whole thing sounds a bit like petty rivalry and old optical tales
handed down.  Just because the two design approaches are different
doesn't make one an optical cheap trick.  Especially if the
user/viewer prefers the results of the Leitz lens.  It sounds to me
like maybe Leitz really had the better idea, even if it was not well
received by their competition.  But then what do I know?

Best, Don