Subject: Re: [Leica] UV FILTER MANIA REVEALED TO BE CANADIAN!
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:39:01 -0500

Someone wrote:

<<<<>1. What is the general consensus among LUGers regarding the permanent
use of a Leitz UV filter to protect front >elements? Is there any
noticeable image degradation? Serious enough to outweigh the protective
value? Whatabout >other German filters?   Though manufactured in Canada, it
reproduces outstanding apochromatic color renditions.>>>>>>>

Dang! Well I guess us oldtimers have to finally come clean and spill the
beans about this UV thing for the many neophytes on the LUG. Time we
fessed up to the true horror effects of using a UV filter for protection on
a $3000. or $5000 dollar lens.

Why boy, what didn't they teach you in "photo school?

Didn't they tell you those UV thingies come in and immediately go sideways
therefore distorting the ultra sharp waves ground into the front element,
therefore rendering your $5000, lens to reproduce hyper hellenoid
squigglies along the inside of the lens barrel, which eventually cause the
horse glue holding the elements to-gether to go brownie yellow giving you
an extra amount of Leica glow! Kinda glowing thingie ma bob!

Now unless you want to have a squigglie barreled $3000. lens with ultra
squigglie thingies running around inside the barrel, I'd buy film instead
of one of them Ultra violet whatchamacallits and save your lens before you
over Leica glow it!

Sorry Jim I just couldn't take it any longer and had to let the true secret
of the over protected front element out of the filter drawer! :)

May I forever be chastised by the "old shooters dragon lady" and her "made
in Canada" Leica red dot seal whip! :) Oooooooooooooh how I love leather!:)

ted