Subject: Re: [Leica] A Chatterton Story
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 09:30:04 -0500

Give me a break.  By the time you add up state, local, federal, property,
gas, and all of the other taxes the average American pays it is somewhere
near 49% of his gross income.  This is absurd and I for one like anyone
who finds a way around letting the government get its hands on their
money.

I have bought thousands of dollars of stuff from Don and like his service
very much.  One lens I purchased in mint- condition had a large piece of
junk inside the rear element and had a stiff spot in the focusing.  He
told me to ship it to DAG and it was repaired and back in my hands in 3
day (2 of which were weekend days).  He paid all repairs and shipping
costs.

ATanabe wrote

>What if we all did business via mail order, out of state and no one paid any
>taxes???  Or better yet, we start buying goods from other countries and avoid
>high tarrifs imposed by importers (ie Hong Kong).  We could all put our $0.02
>in and develope a list of companies that will do business with us for goods
>and services then none of us will ever have to pay taxes!  What a concept!
>What a shame!  I don't like the way politicians spend our tax money on things
>and thats why we have elections!  BTW I have dealt with Don when I lived in
>Oregon (sales tax free but 11% income tax) and he was very fair and
>honorable.
>I feel that the services that his business receives (police,fire,sewer et al)
>are not being reimbursed to the state (sales tax pays for this).  Now unless
>he buys a whole heck of a lot of things to compensate for lost state tax
>revenues generated by his business, he is definately taking advantage of the
>people of this state.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto