Subject: Re: [Leica] A Chatterton Story
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:53:11 -0500

All this beating up on Don Chatterton bugs me so much I have to weigh in. I
have also bought a lot of stuff from Don over the years, and every single
time it has arrived in better condition than Don had described. He stood
behind an M6 and paid to have it fixed by DAG when I encountered a problem.
He sold me some cosmetically ugly but excellent working condition
Hasselblad gear at a ridiculously low price. He's been agreeable on the
phone, and he cheerfully provided me free advice on how to handle an
overseas sale I was making for the first time. Maybe some folks have caught
him at a bad time. Maybe he gets busy and loses patience sometimes. But
that's not been my experience. I would gladly deal with him again. And will.

As for his tax policy, he's within his rights. By shunning in-state sales,
he's losing money in exchange for not having to deal with the paperwork.
He's not declining to pay taxes; he's declining to collect them. As a
resident of a state that uses consumption as its tax base, he pays his
taxes just like everyone else with every dollar he spends.

Bill Welch