Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:41:45 EST

<< Now, would someone out there have the kindness to tell me whether, in the
real world, where images are being blow up to 11x14 on rare occassion, and
more normally are in the 5x7 to 8x10 range, whether the image degredation
caused by a good quality UV filter >>

You certainly deserve an answer to this.  I suspect the lack of response has
been because this topic was hashed through about three weeks ago.

My take is this:  I think good quality mulitcoated filters make very little
difference, with the possible exception of high flare situations.  Note that
Leica filters are not multicoated.

Personally I do not use UV protective filters on my Leica M lenses.  I use
them on my Canon lenses.  I use them on some of my Contax G and SLR lenses.

To me the decision is based upon the environment and conditions that I expect
to encounter.  I use my Canon system in potentially rougher situations that my
Leica system.  Accordingly, my choice regarding filters as mentioned above.

I have read hundreds of posts regarding this issue in several of the photo
groups on the new duing the last year.  It is frequently discussed.  Opinions
vary all over the board.  However, I have yet to encounter any reliable,
objective tests showing that under non-flare situations high quality multi
coated filters result in any significant loss of quality in sharpness.

Shutterbug Magazine did a test on protective filters a few months ago.  They
concluded that there was little or no loss of image quality.

If you are more comfortable using them, do it.

Please excuse the rudeness and stupidity of the person that flamed you for
asking your very reasonable question.  Forturnately such flames are rare on
this group.

Tom Shea