Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters
From: "Craig W. Shier" <shier@mnsinc.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 16:14:03 -0500

I ran a simple test one day to see what the difference was.   I admit
up front it was a limited test but it showed me the effects of the
filter were miniscule under tested conditions.  I used a simple
resolution test chart and took pictures on Kodachrome 25.  Tests were
made with and without tripod and with and without a UV filter and
examined under a low power microscope.  The filter had no observable
effect on resolution while a tripod made a dramatic difference up to a
shutter speed of 1/4x the focal length.  The light was at my back when
taking the pictures.

However, I have observed increased flare and reflections with strong
light sources in the frame, especially in night photography.

Conclusion,  the filter is on most of the time.  In tricky or
questionable lighting, off it comes.

shier@mnsinc.com