Subject: Re: [Leica] ROMAN HOLIDAY
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 18:26:26 -0500

All,

Italy is truly one of the greatest places for a photographer (or, for that
matter, anyone who appreciates beauty and culture) to visit.  In general,
the further South one goes in Europe, the more open and interesting the
people are.  Part of it has to do with climate.  People are more accustomed
to conducting significant parts of their lives on the streets, and
sidewalks, and in cafes.  And, as I'm sure most of you will agree, pictures
of people are the most interesting kinds.

That said, however, I have to admit that what fascinates me most about Italy
is that around every bend in the road, in practically every tiny village
church or provincial cathedral, you stumble across the most incredible and
unexpected works of art and architecture.  An example which comes to mind is
the cathedral in Treviso (about 30 minutes from Venice).  Hanging in a side
chapel of the main part of the cathedral is an exquisite painting by Titian.
And in the crypt (which dates from the 3rd century) are magnificent frescoes
from that time.  There's also a baptismal font from the same time period in
an outside courtyard.

I can't get enough of Italy and I hope to return at least once a year until
I die.

Bruce S.