Subject: Re: [Leica] use of circular polarizer
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 20:10:27 -0500

At 02:27 PM 3/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>i could use some advice /clarification.
>having never used a circ.polarizer, i recently obtained one for use with a
>180/3.4
>apo lens on my R8.
>i have always thought that by turning this filter one would obtain different
>density at different settings. it seems that my P-cir 13406 has an even
>density across the entire filter even though the glass element can be
>turned.
>are my eyes getting bad ? If not, why can the glass be turned when the
>entire glass has the same density /shading of grey ?
>thanks for any advice.
>hans

Hans -

The extent that light is polarized depends on the angle of the light.  You
will have to look through the filter with the light coming in at an angle.
That's why polarizing filters have more of an effect when the sun is low in
the sky.  Take the filter outside on a sunny day and look at the sky
through it from different angles.  As you turn the filter, you will see the
sky darken when the light is most polarized.  Hope this helps.  Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>