Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:32:38 -0700

If it makes you breathe easier while carrying around your photo gear, what
the heck, get a UV filter, but make it a pretty good one. Some lenses do
have vulnerable front elements and these may be especially good candidates
for such protection, particularly where secure lenscaps cannot be had
readily. Perfectly good photos can be taken with one in place, just keep
your eyes open for tough lighting situations likely to cause it to flare.

Many Leica M lenses are exceptionally well-protected already, what with
those rigid lens hoods, which need never be removed (those cappable
lenshoods are great!) With the front elements so far recessed, abrasion
damage is unlikely. Dust is still a problem, though the real killer is
(over-) cleaning techniques, which have given rise to euphamistically
calling scratches on optical surfaces "cleaning marks".

It's natural to fret over gear which costs a ton of money, just don't overdo
it! I sometimes suspect that excessive fretting over gear is a major cause
of hobby burnout. Besides, even if we could preserve the gear in like-new
condition forever, we won't be around :-)

Jeff

From: B. D. Colen <bdcolen@earthlink.net>

    One of the most refreshing things about this list has been the utter
lack of flaming, until I apparantly foolishly asked the question about UV
filters.