Subject: Re: [Leica] What is bad bokeh?
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 19:46:00 -0700

Hi John,

My 35mm system consists of a Leica M4, current 50/2.8 Elmar and a Canadian
35mm Summicron.

I never experimented much with the boke of a lens at the sorts of distances
you mention! Seem to recall the Photo Techniques article mentioning that
sometimes, these qualities change at different focus distances. I was using
the 80/2.8 Zeiss Planar at 1:1 much of the time!

I expect that it won't be considered sterling in this regard either
(probably rates as having "cross-eyed boke") but I did like the 35-70/2.8
AF-Nikkor very much, and had lots of fun photographing objects near and far,
at home and abroad. Only complaint was that it was large, heavy and
none-too-subtle. I used to own a 50/1.8 AI Nikkor and liked it lots too,
more so than the 1.4 my dad had in the '70s.

How do you like your Leica Rs? I briefly had an R4s with winder and grip. I
never bothered to get lenses, because I soon discovered that while I liked
the size and feel of the basic R4 package, it was very strange to have an
electronic camera with no master power switch, TTL metering, but no means to
manually meter without taking one's eye from the finder, and a winder which
did not rewind film, and which, when the attractive grip was added, could
essentially only be used in continuous mode! I like the way Leica is
experimenting with camera design with the R8, but I wonder why a manual
focus, manual-wind camera had to be so large

Jeff