Subject: Re: [Leica] The Death of Photojournalism
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:03:44 -0600

At 12:07 PM 3/24/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Although I am not up to date with the current state of community
>photojournalism, I have a feeling that there is still room for professional
>advancement, and public acceptance with the smaller papers with sympathetic
>management and community committment.

I can assure you that photojournalism in medium-sized papers is still quite
alive. The Washington Post has just proved they are the kings of
Photojournalism, so even a few big papers are doing it right. But smaller
papers (in the 40,000 to 250,000 size range) have the flexibility (if so
committed) to do extended photo essays. My paper is a good example of that.
The Director of Photography at the Oregonian once stated that they don't
have the opportunity to do the kind of stories my paper does. I take that
as quite the compliment. He's probably the best photo editor on the planet
at a newspaper. (Randy Cox).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Pi R Squared? No Pi R round, Cornbread R Square!