Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] SCALA, etc.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:18:54 -0600

At 02:49 PM 3/24/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Finding the right printer for your work is just as hard as selling it,
>.....sometimes impossible.  I have not seen original prints from
>Cartier-Bresson but are you sure that he was always happy with the way they
>turned out?  I know from my own experience, and from those of friends,

I've seen his work in a gallery that represents him in Kansas City. Sure,
he had a printer he knew personally, and he printed his work to his
specifications. That can take some give and take, but once it's set, a
professional printer of that quality can repeat the print over and over. As
I understand it few Europeans print their own work compared to use in the
US. Don't know that for sure outside the photojournalism world.
Cartier-Bresson comes from one of the wealthiest families in France, he can
afford it.

But as for color, I'd say getting a good printer is paramount. As I
understand it Portland Photographics in Maine is the best Ciba printer
around. William Albert Allard has him print his exhibition prints. Sam
Abell too, so I'm told. Their work is more than impressive. (Last I heard).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Pi R Squared? No Pi R round, Cornbread R Square!