Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux
From: RBedw51767 <RBedw51767@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 11:52:16 EST

<<  Do you find the size and weight a problem?

 I bought a current Noctilux last week to go with my M6HM. (Thanks for
 the great pix as inspiration Tina!) The weight is not a problem and the
 size is very comfortable.  It is like a SLR lens and the focusing ring
 fits nicely between my thumb and fore finger.  Focusing is slow and
 precise - a real plus considering the DOF.

 > Are there particular f-stops that are sharper than others?

 I haven't used this lens enough to make a comparison but it is very
 sharp wide open and any vignetting was gone by F/2.0.

 > If you were traveling and you could only take one 50mm lense would you feel
comfortable taking the Noctilux as your only one?

 Yes.  However I would stick to high constrast films like TMY and avoid
 really flat films like XP-2.

 > One of the things that I enjoy about my 21mm aspheric is the separate
viewfinder and the less visual interruption that the actual lense has in the
viewfinder.  Viewing through the regular M6 view with my 35mm f1.4, with the
lense cap attached, the lense barrel become more prominent.  This bothers me
somewhat.  The Noctilux, because of it's heft, must be very visible in the
viewfinder.  Is this true and does it bother you more that other lenses?

 I also have the 35mm Summilux ASPH for and though it blocks the lower
 corner on my standard M6 viefinder, I hardly notice it.  But the
 Noctilux blocks off the entire lower right corner of the image.  For
 example if I were to take a vertical portrait with it and depends on
 which way I hold the camera, the Noctilux would cover a part of the
 subject's face.  This really bothers me but I have learned to deal with
 it.

 > Please excuse all of the questions.  If would be most helpful to hear from
you.

 I really like this lens especially with the M6HM.  With fast enough
 film, if you can see it you can shoot it.

Thank you for the very complete response.  You've got me sold.

Thanks
BOB