Subject: [Leica] Death of Photojournalism
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 14:48:05 -0500

Some of you expressed an interest in the photojournalism post from NPPA-L
so I'm sending another interesting one.  I knew things were pretty bad in
the photojournalism department, but I didn't know they were this bad!   Tina

Subject: Re: The Death of Photojournalism?
To: NPPA-L@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU

 If anyone doubts the validity of Otto Pohl's words or dismiss it as
just a problem for the hotshot magazine photographers, go back and think a
little harder about the discussions we had about the AP contract, the low
wages, the sucking of up hugh photo archives by multi national corporations.

        All of these things have greater global ramifications then whether
or not we get our mileage paid.

        Photojournalism is loosing ground to "entertainment"(sports,
celebrity, lifestyle) photography.  Photos are now only thought of as a
commodity to be bought, sold and traded..just like any entertainment product.

        If no other evidence is needed, witness the decimation of Life
magazines photo dept.
        Managing Editor, Jay Lovinger (a strong advocate of photojournalism
at Life) is fired and replaced by Isolde Motley....the founding editor of
MARTHA STEWERT LIVING! and THIS OLD HOUSE!

It gets worse...

        Joe McNally (the last staff photographer) and Barbara Baker Burrows
(Special Projects Editor) were fired and the photo dept was merged with the
design dept and comes under the direct control of the new art director, Paul
Ritter....formerly of BENNETTON'S COLORS magazine!

The Director of Photography, David Friend, resigned in protest.

Life magazine no longer has a photo dept.
I'll say that again LIFE MAGAZINE HAS NO PHOTO DEPT!!!

Does anyone else need anymore evidence that Photojournalism will cease to
exist in commercial magazines?

Remember our discussions about photojournalism, art and poetry?
Well, it won't be long before the only place you will see photojournalism is
in art galleries and poetry readings....I've already done one for a friend.

so depressing...

Greg Locke

("...an unemployed Prima Donna.")..Says,The Vancouver Province photo staff.

       2 Mullock Street,  St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada  A1C 2R5
   Tel: 709-576-2297  Fax: 709-576-3297  EMAIL: greglocke@ibm.net
        WEBSITE:  http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/nf/greg.locke
New York Rep: Saba Press, 212-477-7722, Toronto Rep: Klix 416-698-3468

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>