Subject: [Leica] Inge Morath Exhibition at Leica Gallery, New York City
From: LeicaPhoto <LeicaPhoto@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:58:39 EST

A number of LUG members attended the 75 Birthday Celebration opening reception
at Leica Gallery on March 19th. We had a huge sheet birthday cake for her and
Leica presented her with an engraved Minilux. There were almost 600 guests who
came to say hello to her. The retrospective exhibition of her work includes 60
of her most famous photographs (all taken with Leica  screwmount and  M
cameras) as well as a photographic collage of her life in the gallery's Oskar
Barnack Room. On March 20th, we had a private reception for Inge Morath at the
Austrian Consulate-General in New York City. The exhibition will run through
May 2nd and is well worth visiting. During the show, there is a continuous 90
minute film on her life (filled with pictures of her using a M6!) and her
Leica photography. Many of you know that in addition to her own fame as a
Magnum photojournalist - she was taught by Cartier-Bresson, Robert Capa, Chim,
etc.), she is married to the writer, Arthur Miller. The show has her pictures
of Marilyn Monroe, Arthur Miller, the Saul Steinberg Mask Series as well as
such famous images as the Llama in a Taxi in New York, etc. If you cannot come
to the show, we have a "catalogue" of the retrospective in the form of the
hardcovered book "Inge Morath" Photographs 1952-1992." The text is in German
and English and is 160 pages. It has a preface , biography with pictures of
Inge Morath. an afterward and so forth. Almost all of the pictures in the show
are in the book. It is published in Austria and is only available from us. It
is signed by Inge Morath and is $70. For those interested in her other books
(all out-of-print), we have very limited supplies of 10 of them. All are
signed by Inge Morath and four titles in which the text was done by Arthur
Miller are signed by both Inge Morath and Arthur Miller. All are hardbound and
in mint condition. You can e-mail, call or fax us for more information about
these. As always our shipping charge is never more than $10. regardless of how
many items are bought. Our telephone is 212-777-3051 and fax is 212-777-6960.
We take VISA, MC, AMEX.  Regards, Rose and Jay Deutsch, Leica Gallery, 670
Broadway, NYC 10012.