Subject: [Leica] Lens Damage
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 18:15:03 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

There has been a lot of questions and discussion about camera bags,
changing lenses and lens damage.  I guess I've had the luxury of time to
change lenses carefully without too many accidents.  I do not use front
caps or rear caps.  I keep lens shades on lenses whenever possible.  My
biggest fear is getting distracted and dropping a lens onto a pavement or
roadway.

I have a whole wall of camera bags.  My wife thinks I'm the original bag
guy.  No I don't carry a purse - just great canvas/leather camera bags -
like Fogg.  The other system I use is a Domke bag - ballistic cloth F6 -
that has a four place padded divider.  One lens goes face down into each
opening.  One M6 is around my neck with a lens and a second M6 with another
lens in the bag ready to go - usually with the 21/2.8 and external finder.
If I need to carry more than six lenses, I use a coupling ring that permits
me to connect two M lenses back to back.  Care must be taken that the rear
element of wide angle lenses don't crunch into other lenses when coupled.
Check out the focal lengths carefully before coupling.  Each lens has its
own slot in the bag.

The posts I have read make me think that during the heat and passion of
taking pictures, some photographers simply throw their lenses in a bag
without caps or hoods and then suffer the consequences.

I'm always on the lookout for a better system.  If anyone has one out
there, please send a note into the list.  One of the best qualities of this
list is the sharing of information that has real value.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA