Subject: [Leica] Vancouver on 50mm's a day! :)
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 02:10:58 -0500

Hi folks,

I've just finished a three day shoot on the city of Vancouver and was
restricted to only a 50mm lens! Actually 2, Noctilux on the M6 and 1.4
Summilux on the R8.

Given for years I've had access to Leica lenses from 15mm to 800 you can
imagine I had some frustrating moments when looking through the view finder
and responding, "Damn, I'm 350mm short!" :)

Or wanting to shoot a wide frame as the scene was gorgeous and the 15mm
would have blown your socks off, only I'm as far back as I can get and one
more backwards step and I'm in the ocean! You want frustration?:)

There were times it was driving me crazy, but you know what? The end result
was a great experience in seeing and making what is considered by some as a
limited use lens, record very exciting images. I was forced to look harder,
compose more precisely and to "think" about what I was shooting.  And also
find content that was interesting and didn't require a super wide or long
tele to make it look  more attractive..

The Noctilux was used for the street night shooting on 100SW of fire
jugglers and people in outside cafes with coffee, traffic and window
lights.  Man nothing like an f1.0 image when it's right on the mark and in
light that everyone thinks your flash isn't working!:)

"Hey buddy yer flash didn't work!" "Yep damn, I'll have to get new
batteries."  And you walk away smiling knowing the Noctilux King has struck
again!:)

Those of us who have the very good fortune to own many Leica lenses forget
all this glass can become a burden and that it's necessary to go back to
your roots of "one camera and one lens" to be humbled by the lowly 50mm
eye.

Much to my surprise, even with the frustrations I felt the first day, I
found it became exhilarating as each "new 50mm image" was recorded and I
found myself chomping at the bit to keep going, seeking out interesting
subjects.

Where I might shoot a street person from afar with the 80-200 or a 280, I
found I was forced to walk closer, be more "daring" in approaching, but
without annoying or destroying the moment.

Years ago when I was still wet behind the ears and owned but a couple of
cameras & lenses, it never occurred to me that I shouldn't just walk-up and
shoot away at anything or anyone that motivated me. I guess the naivete of
a rookie saved my butt on occasion, but now I'm a grizzled old veteran pro
it doesn't work that way in some sections of the town. :) Now the "old pro"
first gages how fast he thinks the subject can run before making the move
to photograph him. :)

Hey I might be an old pro, but I didn't get this far by being stupid! :)
Besides I've got lots of places to go and things to shoot yet. :) The key
thing is, always smile and wear fast running shoes! :)

The quick peek at a few slides hot from the lab looks interesting and a
couple surprised me as I found I shot subjects that weren't my normal
forte. Tomorrow morning they'll be edited, screened and I'll either be
laughing or crying. But at the moment I feel kind of satisfied I took the
50mm challenge!:)

ted