Subject: Re: [Leica] How to store the lens ?
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 21:18:15 -0700

Having lived in the tropics for most of my life, I've found this solution to
work well:

- -Buy the largest Tupperware container available; wash it well to remove mold
release compounds and other crud. I have chosen this product in hopes that
buying "food grade" plastic might mean it does not outgas much, also, it
seals well.

- -Take a metal canister, as used for 100' spools of film. Preforate it with a
small nail. Fill this with silica gel.

- -For recharding the silica gel, I had constructed a solar oven from some
cardboard boxes, black paint and aluminum foil. This worked really well and
did not run up a gas or electricity bill :-)

After a hot and sweaty outing, I'd wipe down all of the exterior surfaces of
the gear with a clean, damp, rag or washcloth, then pack them away.

I've since relocated to a semi-arid, temperate climate, and only need worry
now about slipping on the ice and landing atop my gear, which has been known
to happen!

Jeff