Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R or Leica M
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 01:37:56 -0700

A Toyo 4x5?

But seriously, one aspect of photography which is not mentioned often is
that of how much gear you really want to be hauling about: SLRs have an
obvious advantage for macro work, zooms, superwides and long teles, but do
you plan to purchase and carry  such gear? If so, an SLR would seem the way
to go.

For me, the tricky thing about landscapes is how elusive really outstanding
conditions can be, and while I don't advocate waiting for that
once-every-few-years morning, it does help to be carrying a camera, any
camera, should it unexpectedly come up. I own an M for this reason, and
persistance has paid off a number of times! At the very least, I like to
carry a Minox 35EL, though I've been thinking of turning it in for a newer
model offering some sort of AE lock. These little cameras are very good
performers, though fussier to use really well than an M camera.

Jeff