Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R or Leica M
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 19:17:08 -0800

I don't wish to start a war, this is simply my educated and experienced
Humble Opinion. I use a 4x5 Linhof Field View for the majority of my
landscapes, My R camera for the rest. My M camera is not in this class. But
my view and my R cannot do what my M can do. The greatest landscape camera
available is a view camera. The R camera is closer to the view, by a long
shot, than the M. I think the bottom line is that the R camera has better
tools for landscape photography. Yes, a good photographer can do good
"limited" landscape things with an M camera, but the R camera opens up
another dimension, that simply cannot be done with an M camera. Perhaps
adding a Visoflex would help. But even an M plus Viso is outclassed by a
whole bunch of R lenses (15mm - 800mm, TTL) that produce exquisite
landscape photographs, assuming the photographer is capable. You can see
your DOF, see a filter effect, change film without disturbing your tripod
set-up, composition on a ground glass with a grid (like a 4x5 view) is
super, PC lenses to extend DOF or straighten that old water tower or red
bard, all viewable TTL, this list could go on for pages.

Don't get me wrong, as I said, a good photographer can indeed make good
landscapes with an M camera. But they're limited in scope and tools. But an
R camera is a whole lot easier, under far better control, and simply in
another dimension for this type of photography.

Look at the M6 and R8 (or any R) full color brochures side by side. The
illustrating photographs, for these two types of cameras, basically depicts
the kind of photography that each camera is best suited for. Street stuff,
fast moving, candids for the M; landscapes, macro, superwide, and telephoto
for the R. There, of course, is an overlap, but clearly, the two different
camera systems are more comfortable in their respective areas of intent.

Jim