Subject: Re: [Leica] Soft Release
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 02:40:56 EST

Dennis, I am working on a soft release design and when I have some time to do
some experimental machining and can figure out the die for the thread I will
do a couple of prototypes. The problem is that the design has to be such that
it can be turned in one pass on an automatic turning centre ( Computer
Numerically Controlled lathe) in large quantities and quite fast too ( you pay
for these machines by the hour and some of the more sophisticated ones cost
upwards of $ 700/hour to run.)
 The intial design is sketched out, diameter the same as the "cup" surrounding
the release button, slight dome shape and knurling around the rim and black
anodized. The trick is more of a financial nature, if the price is to stay
under $10 retail, the wholesale must be around $7 and then the manufacturing
cost has to be less than $3 ( add on for anodizing, packaging etc you will see
there isn't much margin). If I start running these I will probably only
wholesale them, with minimum orders of 10 or 50. The cost of packaging and
shipping individual units would kill any profit otherwise.
 If any of you luggers have any idea on how to improve the design, please let
me know. Remember, I am a photographer who got sidetracked into manufacturing
and I have no formal training in machining, it is all trial and error and
designs have to be simple to work well.
Tom A