Subject: [Leica] Shooting with long lenses [500 2000mm]
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 16:19:04 EST

 I have shot at reasonable shutter speeds with both my 1000mm and a
 2000mm as well as the poor quality 500mm Leica Mirror, at reasonable
 shutter speed on a heavy wooden tripod sheltered from the wind, some-
 times with a sandbag hanging down to absorb vibrations.

 The trick is not so much the fast speeds (although that certainly helps)
 but to wait for the camera & lenses to stop vibrating.  With a TLR, the
 mirror should be locked up, which is just common sense but I have also
 found that using the delayed action or self-timer gives the additional 10
 to 15 second necessary for the vibrations to diminish.

 Marvin (astro photographer) Moss