Subject: Re: [Leica] slide vs. print film for PhotoCD
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:38:18 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
>I never knew this.....I always was taught that slide film would present the
>better quality enlagement and scan.  For these reasons I put up with the
>inconvenience of slides.  I would be head over heels if I found a print
film
>that scanned better and enlarged better than Velvia! I think Royal Gold
>25 may do it

For those times when color's needed, I've been thinking of switching to
print film: I love what my slides look like when viewed on the light box or
projected (can anyone tell me if $500 for a clean used Pradovit 2500 w/90
Colorplan a killer deal??) but aside from some very low-contrast scenes,
which use texture and color for differentiation, I have seldom been stunned
by the wonderfulness of my prints-from-slides, or anyone else's, for that
matter. I look forward to the day when I can produce a high-noon photo which
properly conveys a feeling of brilliant light and even hazy summer heat
without simply looking washed-out!

I'll get my test PhotoCD of scanned RG 25 negs back
>on Monday afternoon.
>
>If both are stored under optimum conditions, how much longer than
>negatives do slides last?

Maybe I've just grown spoiled or something, but it seems to me that KR64
images made in the late '70s and early '80s look more magenta than I like,
and that Ektachromes (EPN?) from the era are bluish to the extent that
today, I might want to use something a bit stronger than a skylight filter
:-) Most of the time, these were stored in warm, humid conditions, which has
since been upgraded to warm and DRY!

Jeff