Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #276
From: Christian Becker <chribeck@mdc-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:22:44 +0100

Hans Pahlen wrote:
I wonder: -Have you dumped the rangefinder concept altogether?
/Hans

Hans, I dump anything altogether. The rangefinder concept just didn't
worked for me. People are the most (if not only) interesting subject for
me and - you know- the most important thing taking pictures on the
streets is - being quick.
The M was

1) to slow
	1a) I couldn't get used to split image focussing and wasn't quick
enough
	1b) no auto exposure, so I had to carry a handheld meter and
		- measured 18%grey (inside of my hand) and used this setting
          (works only on overcasted days and with forgivin film type
		  like Tri-X)
		- used estimation (failed to often)
	1c) no motor

2) 	not ergonomic
	got sore fingers when holding the M several hours. Maybe due to
	better ergonomics I found carrying a motorized SLR less crampy.
	The weight advantage for the M was not so big as expected.

3)	quiet
	but found the lower shutter noise was completely unimportant. One
either raises the camera to the eye or shoots blind. If raising it,
people know one takes a picture, shooting blind (I sometimes do)
there is no difference between an SLR and an M.

I still have an R so that I can take advantage of the quality of Leica
lenses when necessary. Only by chance I noticed some month ago that the
Contax G exists - and don't care.
Christian