Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #276
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:10:18 -0800

I do street shooting and candid style shooting of models outdoors too.
I find the M6 perfect for these things.......I too struggled at first when
I tried
my first M6 last year (then took it back for an R8 a week later), but I
bought an M6 0.85 earlier this month and I have gotten a good feel
for things this time around.  This time I am keeping the M6.

It took me a while to get into split image focusing too, coming from a Nikon
F5, but I am now totally comfortable.  I can focus an M6 as fast as, if not
faster than, I focus a Nikkor lens manually.

Exposure is not a problem in the M6.  Just move the center area of the
frame quickly to the area you want to meter, having preset either
aperture or shutter, turn the remaining dial, and get the red arrows.
Then compensate if you want to.

When shooting in daylight, I always set the values at 5.6/125 for 25 ASA
and 5.6/500 for 100 ASA, then deviate from there is necessary.

Bracketing is easy.  Get your base exposure, and as you shoot and cock,
turn the aperture ring one click for a half stop each way.

I sometimes get sore fingers too, but only after an hour of straight shooting,
and only if I am not using my M-Handgrip!  The handgrip does wonders!

The silence of the M6 is golden!  My models just chat away with me, asking
if I am ready to take the shot, while I have already taken 10 frames!!!!
Perfect
for catching candids......models look so much better when they don't know
you're shooting, and with the M6 they never know.  They're so used to the
slap of a mirror from the common SLR.

Overall, I have come to use the M6 for 90% of my photographic needs.
I don't shoot sports, bugs, old coins, or cranes at 200 yards, so I don't
really need the extra burden or noise of the typical SLR.  (But I still hold
onto my R8, 100APO, and 180 Elmarit for those special occasions,
although I am somewhat considering selling the 180 so I can buy
a Noctilux!)

At 02:22 PM 3/31/98 +0100, Christian Becker wrote:
>Hans Pahlen wrote:
>I wonder: -Have you dumped the rangefinder concept altogether?
>/Hans
>
>Hans, I dump anything altogether. The rangefinder concept just didn't
>worked for me. People are the most (if not only) interesting subject for
>me and - you know- the most important thing taking pictures on the
>streets is - being quick.
>The M was
>
>1) to slow
>	1a) I couldn't get used to split image focussing and wasn't quick
>enough
>	1b) no auto exposure, so I had to carry a handheld meter and
>		- measured 18%grey (inside of my hand) and used this setting
>          (works only on overcasted days and with forgivin film type
>		  like Tri-X)
>		- used estimation (failed to often)
>	1c) no motor
>
>2) 	not ergonomic
>	got sore fingers when holding the M several hours. Maybe due to
>	better ergonomics I found carrying a motorized SLR less crampy.
>	The weight advantage for the M was not so big as expected.
>
>3)	quiet
>	but found the lower shutter noise was completely unimportant. One
>either raises the camera to the eye or shoots blind. If raising it,
>people know one takes a picture, shooting blind (I sometimes do)
>there is no difference between an SLR and an M.
>
>I still have an R so that I can take advantage of the quality of Leica
>lenses when necessary. Only by chance I noticed some month ago that the
>Contax G exists - and don't care.
>Christian

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions