Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful camera features?
From: Don Bledsoe <drbledsoe@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 07:02:57 -0800 (PST)

- ---Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com> wrote:
>>Why is a mechanical, non-motorized camera with a dumb spot meter
like the Leica M6 considered by many to be the pinnacle of rangefinder
design, yet to be competitive a 35mm SLR must have multiple metering
and program modes, motorized film advance and rewind, auto-bracketing,
sophisticated flash functions and (in many opinions) several auto
focus modes?<<

I doubt any realistic LUGnut considers the M6 the "pinnacle of
rangefinder design."  I think it more a case of the M6 being the most
appropriate design for many of our uses.  Something along the lines of
it being the "right tool for the job" if you will based on its
specific features.  And those features so favored would appear to be
its total lack of (unwanted) automation, unobtrusiveness, silent
operation, and the variety of typically excellent optical quality
lenses available for it.  At least in my case that is true.

>> Leicaflex SL with a dumb spot meter is the most responsive, and
ultimately most useful SLR for me.<<

I think you have pretty well answered your own question with this
statement. :-)

>>Would RF users be as satisfied with an electronic M-camera, or has
standard SLR design become too cluttered with superfluous features?<<

This has been discussed often here.  The answer is yes and no.  Some
definitely would and some wouldn't.  Too much depends on individual
subject and style.

Regards, Don