Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful camera features?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 21:51:56 -0600

At 08:26 AM 4/2/98 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm a "bugs & critters" photographer so the rangefinder is not the
>best tool for me, yet, like the M6, the mechanical, non-motorized

Seems to me that if you want something like the SL, then the R6.2 might be
your best choice. On the other hand, when you're down on your hands and
knees in the heat of the chase, a matrix meter, fill flash and TTL flash of
the highest order would be a good choice. The R8 is ideal for that. It
gives you a great motorized (winderized for now) body with manual metering
and selective metering that is MUCH more sensitive than the SL. With any
automation you might want. Mirror lock up, higher shutter speeds, higher
flash sync.

An SLR has to be much more flexible and cover a lot more photographic
subjects that an M6 to be competitive. And to handle the greater range of
lenses and accessories an SLR has over a rangefinder. Thus, the R8 is the
logical way to go for an SLR, while the M6 is just fine. Or maybe they just
don't change what everyone loves. At least not for another two years when a
new rangefinder is due out.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

More hay, Trigger? No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!