Subject: Re: [Leica] 24 Elmarit f2.8 asph.
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 16:44:09 EST

 I am considering purchasing the 24 f2.8 Elmarit asph-M lens and would
 like to know if anyonehas had the opportunity to try it out yet. >>

I have had one for a couple of months now.  It is a wonderful lens, very sharp
and good contrast.  I noticed that Erwin has not yet got a review of this lens
on his site.  I hope he will get the opportunity to do an analysis of it.  I
like the focal length.  When bringing just one wide angle lens with me, the 24
often fits the bill.

It is rather similar to the 21 aspheric in size and shape.  The 21 has
received wonderful comments (See Erwin's analysis).  I have not seen much
about the 24 in this or other groups on the net.   I would say that the
quality of the images with the 24 2.8 aspherical is about the same as the 21
2.8 aspherical.  I cannot tell a quality difference between the two at the
same apertures and under equivalent condions.  However, I have not compared
the two in a rigorous, scientific, controlled manner.

I do believe that it is slightly sharper at equivalent apertures compared with
the (non aspherical) 28 2.8.  I also like the 24 focal length better than the
28 focal length.  The little extra angle of coverage is helpful.

Tom Shea