Subject: Re: [Leica] Ektachrome E-200
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 17:24:37 -0500

Richard W. Hemingway wrote:

> Luggers,
>
> I have been working toward using only one M6 body - but would need mainly
> one film to use.  Mostly travel stuff, museum interiors etc., so that it
> needs to be able to be used in fairly low light.  I only shoot slides and
> have been using KR 64 or 25 and KR 200 in the bodies.  I have been reading
> great things about the new Kodak Ektachrome  E-200 film.  Has anybody used
> it??  Projected it?? Impressions?? and No I don't like Fuji films as much
> and have tried all I can get my hands on.
>
> Dick Hemingway
> Norman, OK

Dick,
I, along with Ted G. And Tom A. and others, can only offer high praise
for the E200S Ektachrome. I used a couple rolls while in France at the
end of January. Interiors in Versailles and exteriors in the garden were
luminous, saturated and neutral, which I prefer. I was particularly
pleased with the interiors as the contrast wasn't blocked up
particularly in the shadows. And it gave me the extra stop for
handholding since tripods weren't allowed. It seems to be a film with
nice lattitude. The pushability is also helpful although I haven't tried
that yet. I have seen examples that Kodak showed at a trade show last
fall.

I haven't projected it yet but the grain viewed under an 8X loupe looked
very nice and certainly not objectionable like Ektachrome 200 of the
past.

I have used it on jobs where I've had to do talking headshots during
interviews. These have been shot on my EOS with the 70-200 zoom and
bounce flash balanced with ambient light. The mix of the two was really
nice and wasn't too color-shifted. Also, it was nice to have the extra
stop as opposed to the E100SW that I normally use.

I think my tendency/strategy will be to use this film on jobs where I
need available light 35mm work with the advantage of matrix, mixed
flash/ambient. Also, I'll be using it in the Leicas all available for my
personal work. I'll probably continue to use the E100S and E100SW in
medium format because I know how it corresponds to Polaroid film.

Hope this helps.

Carl S.