Subject: Re: [Leica] Ektachrome E-200
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 03:44:37 -0400

At 01:43 PM 4/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Luggers,
>
>I have been working toward using only one M6 body - but would need mainly
>one film to use.  Mostly travel stuff, museum interiors etc., so that it
>needs to be able to be used in fairly low light.  I only shoot slides and
>have been using KR 64 or 25 and KR 200 in the bodies.  I have been reading
>great things about the new Kodak Ektachrome  E-200 film.  Has anybody used
>it??  Projected it?? Impressions?? and No I don't like Fuji films as much
>and have tried all I can get my hands on.
>
>Dick Hemingway
>Norman, OK

Dick,
I've been shooting E200 lately for outdoor sports in poor weather and
lighting conditions. I like it a lot, and it has really extended the range
of conditions under which I can now shoot slides.  To really take advantage
of this film, you need to push it in marginal lighting.  If 200 is all I
need to get 1/500 at 2.8 or 4 using the 300mm or 500mm, in most cases I
will still push Provia one stop instead of using E200. But beyond 200, E200
is in a class by itself. Bear in mind a standard one-stop push with E200
yields 320, not 400, and a two-stop push yields 640. A three stop push
produces 800 to 1000; you can decide for yourself.

Give it a try, and let us know what you think. But don't just base opinions
on this film at EI 200. Beyond that is where it really shines, in my opinion.

By the way, as someone else mentioned here last week, Fuji has a new film
coming out to compete in the beyond-200 EI range. I haven't gotten any
samples yet.

Bill Welch