Subject: Re: [Leica] British <-> American translations / Shoot/shooting and derivatives
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 15:09:10 -0700

Eric Welch writes:|
|We shoot pool, shoot the moon, drink shooters, etc.=20
|
|Metaphors are just that.

I do not think that we are talking about metaphors.  There is a =
relationship between the techniques used in the type of firearm shooting =
Art speaks about and camera use (particularly low speed shutter =
settings).

In both techniques, you practice breath control.

You have to be aware of what is happening in the sight picture (where =
did that damned red kerchief come from)? --- what's happening =
downrange---watch it here come a car.

You are aware of how to use triangles, particularly as it is applied to =
your body in order to get the most steady stance.

You should be familiar enough with your camera or your weapon to load it =
in the dark.

You are willing to use any aid such as a tripod, sandbag, tree, or =
sometimes, supporting yourself flat on the ground in order to get the =
desired results.  There is also a "shoulder stock" sold for long lenses.

You might even say a calming Zen mantra before shooting.

I only worry when people talk about snap-shots (either as regards =
photography or weapons use).

Interesting cultural differences and ideas of what is politically and =
morally correct.  It would be interesting to see when the term "shoot" =
came into the American vocabulary.  I have never fired the shutter, but =
just released it.  I always fired flash bulbs.

Regards,  Bill Larsen, non-NRA member
ohlen@lightspeed.net