Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 22:32:08 +0000

Joseph Codispoti wrote:

> However, there is indeed merit for the latest advances in meter technology.
> Especially for the photographer working in rapidly changing situations and
> lighting conditions.  The artist photographing a still life, has ample time
> to meter, interpret and consider all aspects of exposure.  The "action"
> photographer, on the other hand, does not have that luxury.

I don't care how good the meter is, the photographer is still the
deciding factor in what the exposure is, and to obtain good
consistent results you must be able to know what the light is doing
and how to be sure your meter is not lying to you.

It doesn't matter if you shooting something sitting still as in your
example of a still life or something moving like a NFL football game,
if you blow the exposure you blow the exposure and the results are
the same.  In my work I shoot 95% color transparency film and I have
learned that I get correct exposures if I shoot what my Minolta meter
tells me to shoot.  I cover everything from non-moving subjects
to NFL football and NASCAR racing and shoot most of it on color slide
film, and have used the Nikon F4, EOS 1, and now the Leica R8--- no
matter which body I am using I have seen situations daily that the
internal TTL meter was just dead wrong.   I am not an "art"
photographer, I have always considered myself a reporter with a
camera, it is my job to get images that tell the story of
whatever I am covering on film.  I now I shoot exclusively for
magazines and corporations who require chrome, and I used to shoot
for newspapers and wire services in the days when chrome was still
the preferred color film.  Chrome has almost no margin for error.
You either get the correct exposure or you don't.  Negative film has
a huge latitude and a lot of room for error, comparatively speaking.

 If you take the time to learn how to us an incident meter and how to
meter for various lighting circumstances you will learn how to get not
only well exposed images, but grow an understanding of light, how it
works on film and how to control it and use it to your full advantage
to create images that express what you are wanting to express.

Too bad Fred Ward is no longer on the list as his dissertation on
incident metering is the best worded description of why and how to
use them I have yet seen.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto