Subject: Re: [Leica] Ektachrome E-200 vs. Fuji RMS
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 00:36:17 -0400 (EDT)

Re: recent interest in E200:

The local Fuji rep gave me a single roll of their yet-to-be-introduced RMS
100 slide film. I decided the way to test it would be to match shots with
E200 and RMS in two bodies. The films were both pushed to 800, which both
manufacturers claim is within the capability of their respective films.
Pictures were shot from bright light to dusk and one macro shot in shade
(available light). They were not the action shots you might typically use
these films for, but land-and-cityscape shots, because I wanted to closely
match the two films as well as bracket to +/- 1 stop (in half stops).

The results were not encouraging. The E200 showed a very strong magenta
shift (sorry I'm not good at describing in cc units but the magenta cast is
very obvious), and became noticibly grainy. The RMS was relatively finer
grained and remained neutral. Unfortunately, while the exposures on E200
were as expected, I had to go to the lightest (+1 stop) slide with RMS to
even match the normal (800ISO) Ektachrome. This means that my 800 ISO push
on RMS only actually delivered 400! This somewhat invalidates the
comparison, as I could have gotten the same speed from a 400 ISO push on
the E200, probably resulting in less grain and color shift. The films were
done at BWC in Miami, normally a first class E6 line, and were sent to the
attention of a technician suggested by the Fuji rep as one who knew the new
emulsion. Perhaps as they see more film volume, they will calibrate their
push times better. As I have no more RMS I will have to wait for regular
stock to continue the experiment.

Otherwise, both films were very saturated compared to the look of older
fast E6 films, but the push left both, even the Fuji, with more grain than
I would like. Contrast was also predictably high, but not unnatural. All in
all, both are probably useable for a lot of situations but slower films
are, of course, still much better. Also fast negative films might be a
better choice for those who do not have to have a transparency, as color
shifts and contrast would not be a problem; also, the cost of these films
plus push processing, esp with needed bracketing, adds up quickly.

BTW, I had to shoot the test with my Canon + 1 borrowed body because
A.) Coudln't scare up another M body
B.) Wanted electronic shutters for accuracy
C.) Wanted half stops for bracket

Yes, I know the R8 has all that stuff but I don't even have ONE of those!

Hope this is of some interest/help

Nick Hunter