Subject: [Leica] Matrix metering, lens looks.
From: Vondauster <Vondauster@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 00:51:56 EDT

Hi All,

Until about 7 months ago I used Contax SLRs for that work for which an SLR is
best suited. When shooting - OK, working - a festival where I am the
supervising photographer, I used the excellent 25mm to take some interesting
photographs of the festival's rather long parade. The festival is held in
Estes Park, Colorado, which is at about 8000 feet. The camera was set to
center-weighted average, and spot on some of the more obviously appropiate
instances. Every one of the wide angle photographs was severely underexposed,
even though I had expected problems and dialed in a plus 1.66 stop
overexposure compensation. I was changing lenses rapidly and running a bit,
and fast moving clouds constantly changed the light. Autoexposure was a big
plus in this situation.

Here's the kicker for me. All three of my photographers were using different
Japanese SLRs with matrix metering. Since it was my job to, I looked at each
of their (about one thousand) photographs. Not one of their photos was out of
the correct latitude range for C-41. But mine were.

Reluctantly I switched systems to Canon SLRs (keeping my M6 and 35-50-90, of
course!). As expected, the matrix metering worked better for that type of
work, and the "L" lenses are excellent. Sharp and contrasty. And the EOS 1n is
an excellent picture taking machine.

Ahem.

Friday I bought an R8, the 35-70 f4.0, and the appropriate SCA Metz module.
The Leica look is just too important. For me. The push came when I was
requested to post some of my so called "stock" images of the San Francisco
area on the web (www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/stock/). The best images were
taken with my Leicas. No Canon images made the cut.

This reflects my tastes only now, I'm not flaming Canon's excellent equipment.

Thanks for your patience with a longish post. My wallet hurts.

Will von Dauster