Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 00:50:26 -0500

At 10:32 PM 4/5/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Please remember that for over ten years I worked actively in the
>newspaper and wire service fields and I have
>used used an incident meter since my internship.

Harrison,

I wasn't saying that it doesn't work for some people. But there is no way
that working in a fast moving situation, like say a sniper shooting at me,
I want to be waving a meter around in the air and then transferring the
exposure data to the camera. That's sort of counter-intuitive to the reason
why cameras have automatic exposure in the first place. Matrix meters were
place in cameras aimed at photojournalists to be tools, not gimmicks.

Each tool has its place. And I've had pictures in the big magazines too.
Sports Illustrated, I suppose is the biggest for me. Almost National
Geographic. But the point remains. Incident meters are slow, automatic
meters are fast. The best tool for the given job. That's how I work. I have
yet to find a single situation where I could get a more accurate exposure
with incident meter than with selective meters in my Leicas. Experience is
the best tool.

Most people on this list, I suppose, are used to the slower-paced
contemplative exposure techniques people talk about. Matrix meters are not
the best way to go for that kind of picture making.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You'll get what's coming to you ... Unless mailed