Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter durability
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 00:34:22 -0500

At 11:49 PM 4/5/98 -0400, you wrote:

>As far as the metering discussion is concerned, my only comment is: with a
>matrix (multi-segment evaluative) metering system, how is it possible for the

From experience, and seeing how it reacts to certain kinds of light, you
develop a sense for what kind of exposure correction it needs. Mostly by
observing the negative and then deciding how far it's off, then finding out
in the field how far it's off.

I'm sure the camera is not really comparing the scene to 50,000 pictures in
a data bank, no matter what the ad copywriters may say it's doing. I think
it will be consistent in given lighting situations. At least, the F5 seems
to bear that out for me as I used it. It was more a need to bias it a bit
in certain situations like moderate backlighting. Just give it a slight
+0.7 increase. In most other situations, if Matrix is really useful, then
one wouldn't mess with it by biasing the exposure. But backlighting is one
that it seems to work in. Most of the time, a selective meter will do a
better job.

Matrix metering is for quick shooting, not contemplative shooting.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You'll get what's coming to you ... Unless mailed