Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 15:49:10 +0500

At 02:26 PM 98-04-05 +0000, you wrote:
>snip
>IMHO all this meter stuff is just BS.  You, as the photographer, have
>to know what you are wanting exposed correctly and how to expose for
>that light, no meter will do it perfect all of the time, and TTL (be
>it a center spot TTL or Matrix TTL) is easily fooled by high
>reflectance subjects, backlighting, hard sidelighting, low
>reflectance objects.  If you know how to use an incident meter
>properly you will end up with better, more consistent exposures in
>90% of the shooting situations you will encounter.
>

>Harrison McClary
>http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto

Hello Harrison,

	I short while ago I would have had a major disagreement with what you are
saying but lately I have been shooting a lot of Velvia and using a new
Minolta Auto Meter IV F and thoroughly enjoying it.  I am finding that if I
do what it tells me to do (for chromes) that the shots are on the vast
majority of times.  If the situation is tricky or with lots of bright
whites I will still use my Pentax spot meter to double check on everything.
 I am finding that I bracket a lot more when I am using transparency film
compared to b&w negative film but I am still usually the closest with the
initial incident reading.  For walking around cruising for snaps with a
35mm camera the incident meter is really quick and accurate.  I never
thought I would say that.

	To keep this pure Leica - I am using these other meters because my M6 is
packaged up for shipment to Leica for replacement.

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal