Subject: Re: [Leica] British <-> American translations
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 08:10:31 +0500

At 06:48 PM 98-04-06 +0100, you wrote:

>I think this must be another example of different usage. I 'take' a cab,
>or a bus, or the tube, and in none of those cases is it anything like
>stealing (well, the tube prices are close to theft, considering the
>service they provide, but it's not me doing the thieving).
>
>When I ask the lady in the bakers for a loaf of bread, she offers me the
>loaf and I 'take' it. For the verb 'to take' to include dishonesty, it
>would need to be qualified as in "taking a vehicle without consent" (or
>TWOCing as the light fingered members of British society call it).
>
>So to take is to accept, rather than to remove, or possibly to 'gather
>in', which latter usage seems to fit the model of picture taking rather
>well.
>
>            David Morton | "I've finally figured out what's wrong with
>dmorton@journalist.co.uk | photography. It's a one-eyed man looking
>   Islington, London, UK | through a little 'ole. Now, how much reality
>      (+44) 171 272 8908 | can there be in that?" (David Hockney)

Greetings all,

	To take this thread to perhaps a final, but all time high of absurdity I
am reminded of a George Carlin line where he says "We don't take a crap -
we leave one."  Those of us that live and/or work in developing countries
have a tendency to discuss bowel movements with more ease than those in the
first world so if I have offended anyones delicacy I apologize in advance.
I also admit that this has absolutely nothing to do with Leica and
apologize for that.

Ian Stanley,

Kathmandu, Nepal