Subject: Re: [Leica] Fast mechanical shutters
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:19:45 +0200

At 17:49 05/04/1998 EDT, you wrote:
><< Would a titanium shutter take up more space? I wouldn't want the M6 to get
> any bigger >>
>
>Eric,  a metal vertical focal  plane mechanical shutter would take no more
>room.  In fact the Contax S2 is as small as an M6 (and a little lighter).  Of
>course you are correct that any change in the M6 would bring a wave of howles
>- but maybe some applause also.
>
>Tom Shea

Ok Tom, you're right!
The Nikon FM2 also has a fast mechanical shutter which is by the way, the
same as the contax s2!
It would maybe fit in the M6 (not sure because it's a vertical travel
shutter and it might require a complete redesign of the body), but there is
a crucial point : The NOISE! A fast shutter would make much more noise than
the textile curtains of the Ms....What do you think of a noisy M6?????
Thib.