Subject: Re: [Leica] Cool Leica Pictures
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 13:11:59 -0300

At 07 Apr 1998 08:26:20 +0200, Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com> wrote:

> I take this opportunity to raise a question that has been bugging me
> for some time: the useability of Web technology for the observation of
> pictures.
>
> Looking at your photography site, as much as looking at almost anyone
> else's, gives the viewer an opportunity to get a remote, general, idea
> of the type of pictures you enjoy taking or the ones that are your
> bread and butter. It certainly does NOT give any idea of the qualities
> of a lens or of an emulsion.

*Any* idea?  That's a little strong.  Yes, some quality is inevitably
lost, as it's lost as well in printing or slide duping.  In most cases,
a lot of quality is lost.  But this needn't be the case.  I'd lay most
of the blame at the feet of:

 - crappy hardware and software used by viewers

and

 - excessively low-resolution (vertical, horizontal, and depth/quality) =

   approximations of scans put up for web consumption

with, of course, limitations imposed by:

 - poor quality scans (less of a problem when people take the trouble
   to scan directly from a chrome or negative and take the further
   care such people tend to take; inevitable when somebody slaps a
   snapshot print down on a flatbed).

I would contend that anybody actually interested in viewing images,
not squinting at fuzzy, dithered, blotchy, postage-stamp-sized
approximations thereof, needs of course to be running in a 24-bit
hardware color mode (translation for Mac folk: your vendor thinks
precision would harsh your mellow, and thus the Mac synonym for `24-bit'
is the happy, fuzzy `millions of colors') preferably at 1280x1024 or
greater.  And I would further contend that anyone purporting to put
an image up for display should, in addition to the 640x480 thumbnails
for the computationally challenged, supply a jpeg in the 1280x1K range
(1Kx768 as an absolute minimum), with minimally destructive jpeg
compression (`quality' setting no less than 75?).

A great deal of damage can be done at display time -- why, people
running in 8-bit color modes often even seem to think that gifs look
better than jpegs, which for them would often be true -- because the
quick-and-dirty on-the-fly colormap-compression algorithms built into
web browsers are likely do do a worse job than the standalone ones used
to create the already-color-compressed gifs.

> It can even destroy the subtilities of the
> dynamic range of a rich slide or of a hand printed enlargement

The key here is `can'.  It can be argued (philg does, and I concur) that
at its best, electronic display can be have better dynamic range than a
print.  There's some of the magic of a chrome on the light table.

An issue, though, is that working photographers may feel they're `giving
away the farm' if they put up images with high enough quality to be
enjoyable to look at.  They often tend to put up low-res approximations
of their images, and deface them with copyright notices in the actual
image area, presumably to discourage swiping.  Not a pleasing thing to =

look at.

> To be even more radical: none of the images you show on your site (nor
> any of the images I would be able to show on a site of my own) would
> render any differently if you had used cheap P&S hardware instead of
> Leicas. Or even recent digital cameras (with the million + pixels CCDs)=
=2E

Overstated.

> The only way round this would be to put uncompressed high res TIFF file=
> on line. Unviewable by 99 pct of Web users.

Not necessarily.  Low-compression, high-spatial-resolution jpegs can
look darned good.  Perhaps still not-readily-viewable by 99% of the
unwashed; but, quite frankly... skrooem.  If you care about seeing
images on a computer (and you have the kind of disposable income which
can allow a Leica habit), you have a high-resolution 24-bit display
subsystem.  (Okay, gamma is still a b=EAte noir.)  Web authors should
provide a low-res `approximate picture' path for the unwashed, and a
highish-res path for the resolution and bandwith haves.

> The only things that survive Web browsing might be the essential ones:
> the relevance of the image, the idea or feeling it chooses to convey or=

> the documentary value it brings.

Well... it could be argued that this might be a *good* thing.  But I'd =

*rather* have it all.

> Maybe Web imaging requires a new way of creating the images, with Web
> usage as the main objective even at the shooting stage

Doesn't seem to be so.

> and attention
> concentrated on the strengths and weaknesses of this particular
> application: the technology allows the creation of 'living' images,
> loaded with 'inner' animation, timed transformation, etc.

Oh, ick!  Ptui!  The last thing I need to be assaulted with is more glitz=
y, =

annoying, empty all-singing, all-dancing things squirming about my screen=
=2E

> Anyone care to share his/her thoughts on this ?

You asked!